Back in 1898 Francesco Nicosia, the great-grandfather of the current owner, decided to open his first wine shop in Trecastagni, on the eastern slope of Mount Etna. This was the golden age of Etna wines, which – even then – were renowned and esteemed across Europe for their minerality and “volcanic” personality.
Towards the end of the twentieth century, however, the family came to an entrepreneurial watershed, thanks to the tenacity, courage and innovative spirit of Carmelo Nicosia, the current owner. Investing heavily in expanding and restructuring the vineyards, and building a modern winery, he helped transform the family business into one of the leading players in the renaissance of Sicilian wine in Italy and around the world.
The Trecastagni winery is the place where tradition meets ultra-modern technology. Covering a nearly 27000-square-foot space, over a total area of more than 20.000 square feet, among the spacious winemaking area and testing laboratory, large stainless steel tanks and barrels, the ultra-modern bottling line and the bottle aging area and the suggestive underground barrel cellar, the winery is where the heart of the company beats.
Here, in the hospitable wine shop, visitors are welcome to sample the final result of the company’s efforts for themselves. In this veritable “refuge”, far from the frenetic pace of everyday life, standing before a majestic view of the volcano, guests at Cantine Nicosia can take part in tastings and events in which wine is always the star.